Thursday, September 2, 2010

More geography.....contour maps, relief maps and measuring mountains

This was one of those super hands on kind of days! Continuing on with geography in Moving Beyond the Page, we started out talking about contour maps and made one of a sweet potato.

Then we moved on to relief maps (they need to dry and then be painted). The kids picked their "favorite" countries. Joseph chose Greece, Libby chose Germany and Caroline opted for Japan instead of China due to size. ;)




Then we talked about how mountains are measured and tried it out on a tree down at the park (mountains are a little scarce in these parts).
And, Joseph is apparently Captain Shanghai today. :p

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Too bad there aren't any mountains in FL or I'd have us do that project too! ;)

Anonymous said...

I tried to comment on this before, but I guess it didn't go through.
I LOVE your maps!! WHat a great way to learn about them. We're about to start a map unit, so I will be linking back to you when I post our pictures. Thanks for the great ideas!!

I sent you a blog award. I'm not sure if you 'do' that, but one was sent to me and I wanted to share it with you since you're one of the blogs that I read regularly and enjoy very much! Thanks for being awesome :)
Here's the post:
http://thisadventurelife.wordpress.com/2010/09/18/my-first-blog-award/
~h