Saturday, April 25, 2009

Joseph and the Economy

Recently, Joseph has had a lot of questions about the economy. He hears about it daily on the radio and has been personally touched by it with Ken's job situation.
He has asked me several times HOW the economy got bad. I have struggled to answer him (at his level), but I wasn't doing an adequate job because he kept asking.
THEN, I remembered that I had heard an awesome piece on This American Life that explained it beautifully. It did such a great job that after I heard it, I came home and told Alex he should look it up and listen to it.
I looked it up on NPR's website and downloaded the piece from iTunes and put it on my ipod and waited for a good time to let him listen to it. Since we spend so much time in the car driving back and forth to Scottish Rite, that is a great time for us to watch Discovery Channel shows that have been downloaded so that is when I gave it to him.
The first 40 minutes of the show explain what happened to the banks and the last 15 minutes or so talk about the solutions.
Joseph listened so intently, his face was a picture of concentration. At the end of the first 40 minutes, he handed the ipod back to me and said, "I get it now."
I asked him if he didn't want to listen to the rest of it and he said, "No, I get it now."
So, I asked him if he liked it and he said that yes, it was very good and he got it now. (I think he gets it. :p)
Then, I asked, "So, Joseph, if someone asked you what happened with the banks, what would you tell them?"
Joseph says, "I would tell them to LISTEN TO THAT."
:p
Here is a link if you want to hear it, of if you have an 8 year old who has been asking you about it.
Bad Bank

No comments: